Noida: Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) has decided to revive the high-speed Metro rail link project between Greater Noida and the proposed international airport at Jewar. Last week, officials of YEIDA discussed the issue with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and the latter is likely to revert to YEIDA within a week on whether the project and cost would be feasible. The corridor was first proposed by YEIDA board in February 2014 and again in June 2015. In June 2016, the DMRC had told YEIDA that it was too early to prepare a TEFR (Techno-Economic Feasibility Report) for the proposed corridor and suggested that it be done after 5 years.
- They decided to revive the project in order to provide connectivity to the rapidly urbanizing area, according to YEIDA officials.
- The proposed 35 kilometer Metro track will be aligned at the road level along the Yamuna Expressway.
- It will link the zero point of the Yamuna Expressway in Greater Noida to YEIDA’s proposed Jewar airport.
- Also this track will be linked to the under-construction 29.7 kilometer Metro rail corridor connecting Noida-Greater Noida.
- Arunvir Singh, chief executive officer, YEIDA said,”We have asked DMRC to study the primary feasibility of the project along with the cost.”
- He said,”DMRC will conduct an initial feasibility study and will let us know, after which we will take the project further and ask them to prepare a TEFR for the proposed project.”
- The cost for putting in place an elevated Metro track is estimated at nearly Rs 200 crore (approx US$ 31.1 Million) per kilometer, according to officials.
- It means, the YEIDA Metro should cost more than Rs 7,000 crore (approx US$ 1088.48 Million).
- However, YEIDA has asked DMRC to study the feasibility & financial viability of running the Metro rail at the road level along the expressway.
- This will bring down the cost to almost Rs 40 crore (approx US$ 6.22 Million) – 50 crore (approx US$ 7.77 Million) per kilometer.
- On February 2, 2014, the YEIDA board proposed the Metro track to run along the Yamuna expressway between Pari Chowk in Greater Noida – Sector 22 in the YEIDA area.
- On June 24, 2015, Santosh Yadav the then CEO of YEIDA decided to take the Metro track further up to Jewar.
- This track was proposed to be 38 kilometer between Knowledge Park II in Greater Noida – Jewar area.
- However, in October 2015, YEIDA once again changed the route of the proposed Metro rail alignment.
- The new proposal linked a 20 kilometer Metro rail corridor between the zero-point of the Yamuna Expressway in Greater Noida and YEIDA’s Sector 20.