Date Of Post: 22 Feb, 2018
Thiruvananthapuram: The Vizhinjam International Seaport Limited, on Tuesday, signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Konkan Railway Corporation for the construction of a Rs 555 crore 12 km rail line linking the port with the main railway line. The MoU to link the port with the nearby Balaramapurn railway station was signed in the presence of state Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The project was scheduled to be completed by May 2022, a release from the Chief Minister’s office said.
- It said, of the 12 km, 8 km of railway line would pass through tunnel.
- The seaport Managing Director Jayakumar & Konkan Rail Corporation CMD Sanjay Gupta signed the MoU.
- The Rs 7,525 crore Vizhinjam International Transhipment Deepwater Multipurpose Seaport, an ambitious project taken up by the state government, would primarily cater to container transhipment besides multi-purpose and break bulk cargo.
- The Adani Port Limited is the private partner of the project taken up on a DBFOT (Design, Build, Finance, Operate & Transfer) basis.
- The construction of the port commenced in December 2015.
Image Credit: Konkan Railway