Date of Post : 14 Aug, 2017
Visakhapatnam: The Metro Rail authorities have come up with a fresh proposal to extend Metro up to Bhogapuram International Airport.
As per the project’s phase-I, which has been officially approved, the Metro Rail will cover a distance of 42.54kilometres from Gajuwaka – Kommadi in Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) limits.
- According to the phase-II proposal, which is yet to receive official nod, it will be extended to the Bhogapuram airport from Kommadi and to the Vizag Steel Plant from Gajuwaka.
- The newly added distance will be around 37km long.
- “Yes, we plan to extend the Vizag Metro rail project to the Bhogapuram international airport. However, it is still under consideration. Presently, we are focusing on the implementation of the first phase. The viabilities of the second phase depend on the progress of the Bhogapuram international airport project,” a senior official from the AMRC (Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation Ltd) said.
- AMRC, MD, NP Ramakrishna Reddy admitted that their focus was now on the phase-I of the Vizag Metro rail.
- The state government approved the implementation of the Vizag Metro in PPP (public-private partnership) mode, based on the model prepared by AMRC & the UMTC (Urban Mass Transit Company Ltd), a joint company between the Union ministry of urban development & the state government, Reddy said.
- The estimated total cost of the phase-I was about Rs 9,000 crore (approx US$ 1406.25 Million).
- The state government & the developer would bear the cost in 53:47 ratio.
- The private developer will invest in rolling stock, electrical, mechanical works & operation-maintenance of the project for a period of 35 years.
- The government will fund civil works.
- Reddy added that the developer will collect the fare & non-fare revenues.