Date of Post: 17 Nov, 2017
Mumbai: Virgin Hyperloop One, on thursday announced its partnership with the Government of Maharashtra with an intent to conduct a preliminary study in the region. The US-based company signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the PMRDA (Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority) to identify potential routes & analyze the high-level economic impact & technical viability of hyperloop transportation solutions in India.
Hyperloop In Maharashtra-
- Virgin Hyperloop One will work with its partners in the region & the PMRDA will help navigate the regulatory requirements & support the report with data.
- The preliminary study is intended to analyse the applicability & benefits of hyperloop technology, identify high priority routes within the State based on demand analysis & socio-economic benefits, & inform the Government of Maharashtra in any future decision to progress to the full project stage.
Image Credit Hyperloop One
Hyperloop Between Pune & Mumbai-
- Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Shri. Devendra Fadnavis said,“A hyperloop route requires high-density traffic to become viable as a means of rapid public transit. Mumbai & Pune, the most and seventh most populous cities in India respectively, have the potential to provide an optimal route with a high density.”
- He added,“By reducing travel time to under 20 minutes, a hyperloop route will help intensify the connectivity between the metropolitan regions of Pune and Mumbai, transforming the two cities into India’s first and largest Megapolis.”
- Looking at the present traffic scenario in Mumbai, Virgin Hyperloop One can reinvent & transform transportation in Maharashtra as it redefines speed with minimal time consumption
A hyperloop solution could revolutionize the transport experience. For example:
- It would take just 14-minutes to travel between Mumbai & Pune
- It could also streamline airport connectivity, such as connecting Pune’s new Purandar Airport to the city center or Navi Mumbai International Airport to Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
- It could look at connecting Nagpur, which is in the easternmost part of Maharashtra, with Mumbai & Pune to vastly improve passenger and freight transportation
Image Credit: Hyperloop One
Hyperloop For ‘Digital India initiative’
- Nick Earle, SVP Global Field Operations, Virgin Hyperloop One, said,“To coincide with the Digital India initiative and the pivotal role that technology will play in it, Virgin Hyperloop One can be a key facilitator.”
- He added,“India has a proud track record of technological advancement by leapfrogging legacy solutions as illustrated by the successful national roll out of 3G & 4G networks. Hyperloop represents a leapfrog opportunity which will enable a dramatic reimagining of the complete transportation system.”
Image Credit: Hyperloop One
Hyperloop – Safer & Faster Mode Of Transportation
- Harj Dhaliwal, Managing Director, Middle East & India, Virgin Hyperloop One, said,”This preliminary study will help the Government of Maharashtra provide its citizens with a cleaner, safer, and faster mode of transportation.”
- He added,“Virgin Hyperloop One is the only company in the world that has successfully built and tested the first full-scale hyperloop system. With this report, the Government of Maharashtra will be able to identify viable routes that link commercial and knowledge hubs dispersed throughout the region with greater mobility and unparalleled efficiency.