Date of Post: 18 Nov, 2017
Bengaluru: The US-based, Virgin Hyperloop One ties up with the Government of Karnataka to conduct its preliminary study to understand Hyperloop’s feasibility & economic impact in the region.
MoU Signed Between Hyperloop One & Karnataka
- The company signed a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Karnataka Urban Development Department (KUDD) aimed at identifying potential routes to improve mobility in the Bengaluru metropolitan area & connect high growth cities such as – Tumakuru, Hubli-Dharwad & Hosur within the state.
- This MoU sees promise in hyperloop following the recent announcements on the company’s partnership with the Government of Maharashtra, the Government of Andhra Pradesh, & further expansion to other regions that are planned in India.
- The company will be working with partners in the region & KUDD will help navigate the regulatory requirements & support the report with data.
- The preliminary study is intended to analyse the applicability & benefits of hyperloop technology, identifying high priority routes within the State based on demand analysis & socio-economic benefits, and inform the Government of Karnataka in any future decision to progress to the full project stage.
Hyperloop- Safer & Faster Mode Of Transportation
- Harj Dhaliwal, Managing Director, Middle East & India, Virgin Hyperloop One, said,”This preliminary study will help the Government of Karnataka explore how to provide its citizens with a cleaner, safer and faster mode of transportation.”
- “Virgin Hyperloop One is the only company in the world that has successfully built and tested the first full scale hyperloop system. With this report, governments will be able to identify viable routes that link commercial and knowledge IT hubs dispersed throughout the region with greater mobility and unparalleled efficiency,” he added.
Introduction Of Hyperloop Technology In Bengaluru
- Minister Priyank Kharge, ITBT & Tourism, Government of Karnataka, said,“Bengaluru has been the IT hub of the country and all major giants have been functioning out of the region. The introduction of a technology like hyperloop will further add to the pace at which the state wants to grow.”
- “We are happy to partner with Virgin Hyperloop One for its preliminary study in our region and we hope to bring out some concrete solutions for the state swiftly.”
- Nick Earle, SVP Global Field Operations, Virgin Hyperloop One, said,“We recognize the vital role of technology in larger initiatives like that of Digital India, and we strongly believe that Virgin Hyperloop One can be a strong addition to this initiative.”
- “India is one of the most important geographies for developing hyperloop networks and reimagining the complete transportation system. With this preliminary study, we are excited to initiate the buildup of a strong foothold that we foresee in future throughout the state,” he added.
Hyperloop To Improve Connectivity In India
- Embracing disruptive innovations like hyperloop will improve connectivity & accessibility to enable transportation within major cities in India in under two hours.
- This network could create the largest connected urban area in the world by linking over 75 million people across the three metropolitan areas of the States of Karnataka, Maharashtra, & Andhra Pradesh to improve global competitiveness, reduce congestion & emissions, and provide citizens with better social & economic mobility.
- As Karnataka is India’s hub for technology & innovation, it is certain to embrace a hyperloop transportation solution to support its growing manufacturing, technology, & scientific research industries.
Some Of The Avenues Where Hyperloop Could Contribute:
- Linking Bengaluru’s city center, IT hubs & industrial parks on the city’s periphery, by improving connections between fast-growing industrial hubs within the state such as Tumakuru, Hubli-Dharwad, Hosur, & Bengaluru
- Providing Bengaluru’s thriving tech & manufacturing employers with greater access to talent & enabling citizens to commute 10X farther in the same amount of time
- Improving air travel accessibility by connecting Bengaluru’s airport to the city center in minutes
- Creating freight corridors with surrounding cities, eventually extending to Chennai helping manufacturers to deliver freight to the closest port