Date of Post: 21 Dec, 2017
Varanasi: Varanasi is all set to have India’s first “Light Metro rail” service. E Sreedharan, Principal Adviser, LMRC (Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation), which is executing the project, said,”The detailed project report (DPR) for Varanasi Metro has been changed as per the request of the state government.”
- He said,”The state government asked the LMRC to redo the DPR of Varanasi on the basis of ‘New Metro Policy’ which states that tier-three cities with population of 20 lakh should have the Metro rail according to their population.”
- So, we thought Light Metro service for Varanasi, he added.
- Sreedharan said,”As compared to the Medium Metro, Light Metro costs 20% less. The load on the wheels of the coaches is reduced and its running costs are also reduced.”
- An LMRC official, so, other smaller cities like Gorakhpur & Allahabad may also have Light Metro.
- DPR of Kanpur & Agra had been sent to the government for acceptance and is being made for Meerut, Gorakhpur & Allahabad, Sreedharan said.
Image Credit: Raj.palgun13 – Wikimedia Commons