Date of Post: 20 Sep, 2017
The Government of Uttar Pradesh is ready with the draft blueprint for UP Metro Rail Corporation as announced by the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Sh. Yogi Adityanath at the Lucknow Metro inaugural ceremony.
The initiative for a dedicated regulatory body is started with the centre insisting on a unified metro rail authority in states for overseeing all future metro projects.
VIEWS OF AN OFFICIAL FROM HOUSING DEPARTMENT
- Chief minister Yogi Adityanath set the ball rolling on September 5 when he announced the setting up of UP Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC).
- “We have submitted the proposal for the corporation and it is now being vetted by the law department,” he confirmed.
- He further added that the regulatory body would be modelled on the lines of Maha-Metro Rail Corporation of Maharashtra.
- UP had nine metro rail projects in various stages under its belt and so there was an urgent need for such an umbrella body to supervise them, he said.
- “Ours is the only state in the country which has so many metro rail projects going on in various cities at the same time. Since these are major capital intensive projects and require a lot of coordination with other departments for power, land and other infrastructure facilities, a separate body to supervise and manage these ventures was required,” he said
UTTAR PRADESH METRO RAIL CORPORATION
- The UP Metro Rail Corporation would have
- Metro Rail
- Transport Experts
- Planning & Engineering Professionals as members
- Besides ensuring execution of metro rail projects, the authority would also advise the state government on various other urban transport and mobility solutions.
- The head of the organisation would be the chief secretary or an officer equal in rank.
- The authority would be under the administrative control of the UP Housing Town and Country Planning Department, whose principle secretary would be its member secretary.
PRESENT METRO RAIL PROJECTS UNDERWAY
- Greater Noida
- The foundation stone for Kanpur metro has already been laid.
- RITES (Rail India Technical and Engineering Services) is preparing the DPRs of Agra, Meerut and Varanasi.
- The Work is also going on, to draft the metro rail blueprint in Gorakhpur & Allahabad.
METRO RAIL PROJECT SUPERVISION
- The government of UP has already appointed ‘Metro Man’ E Sreedharan as its principal advisor for all the metro rail projects in the State.
- The state government has appointed Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation – a special purpose vehicle overseeing the implementation of Lucknow Metro Rail project – as the nodal agency for the proposed Gorakhpur, Agra, Varanasi, Kanpur and Meerut metro rail projects, till the UP Metro Rail Corporation takes a formal shape.