Date Of Post: 08 Feb, 2018
Kolkata: The Union budget for fiscal 2018-19 has proposed electrification of 881 km of rail network in West Bengal at a proposed cost of Rs 771.54 crore, a senior railway official said. He said, the project will be undertaken in 7 zones of West Bengal that come under the jurisdiction of Kolkata-based Eastern Railway, South Eastern Railway (SER) & Maligaon-based North Frontier Railway (NFR).
Under North Frontier Railway-
- The official said, the electrification work, under NFR jurisdiction, will mostly cover railroads in north Bengal districts of Jalpaiguri, Coochbehar & Alipurduar and also some parts of western Assam bordering West Bengal.
- A total of 506 km has been earmarked for this project, under NFR zone, at an estimated cost of Rs 475.31 crore.
- The official said, of that 412 km comes within the perimeters of West Bengal.
- He said,”The electrification work for Balurghat-Eklakhi line in South Dinajpur and Malda districts of the state will be carried out alongside Katihar-Tejnarayanpur and Barsoi-Radhikapur routes with 142 km of the 176-km-long project falling within West Bengal. The rest is in Bihar.”
- The electrification of the West Bengal part of this route involves a cost of Rs 124.95 crore, he added.
- The 34-km Raninagar-Haldibari single line in north Bengal will be electrified at a cost of Rs 27.71 crore.
Under South Eastern Railway-
- He noted, under the jurisdiction of South Eastern Railway, a 118km long stretch of Bankura-Mashagram rail link will will see electrification work at a proposed cost of Rs 92.8 crore.
- The official said, the 52km long Katwa-Ahmedpur line in Burdwan & Birbhum districts, within Eastern Railway jurisdiction, will be electrified at an estimated cost of Rs 53.66 crore.
Yards & Loop Lines
- Apart from the rail routes, the project has also earmarked 181km rail link in the yards & loop lines, within SER jurisdiction, for electrification.
- The official added, of the 181-km link, 79km falls in West Bengal.
Image Credit: Smeet Chowdhury – Flickr