Date of Post : 21 July, 2017
CHENNAI: The first trial runs begin between Little Mount & AG-DMS underground on Anna Salai on Thursday, as CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd) is gearing up to run metro trains along the city’s arterial road.
The work on the stretch between AG-DMS & Saidapet is nearing completion.
It is part of the airport Central-Washermenpet line of which Little Mount-Washermenpet stretch is yet to be opened.
- The beginning of trial runs indicates that it may be opened much before the deadline.
- A locomotive was operated on the 4km line from Little Mount & AG-DMS, officials said.
- Work is underway on the up-line, round the clock.
- While the line between AGDMS & Saidapet is underground, Saidapet connects to Little Mount elevated station through a ramp built across the Adyar river.
- A release from CMRL said,”Subsequent trial runs with metro trains on the stretch will start after the completion of system works.”
- Installation of various critical systems like tunnel ventilation, HVAC (Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning System), signaling, platform screen doors, automatic fare collection (AFC) gates are complete.
- Last leg of work is underway at the AG-DMS, Teynampet, Nandanam & Saidapet stations.
- The 4 km long line was part of the stretch on Anna Salai.
- While the line between AGDMS & Saidapet is ready , tunneling is still underway between May Day Park & AG-DMS.
- TBMs (Tunnel boring machines) are excavating soil & building tunnels near the Anna flyover close to AGDMS station.
- Officials are expecting to complete tunneling in the next couple of months.
- Once the entire stretch is open, Metro trains are expected to decongest the arterial Anna Salai.