Date Of Post: 03 Apr, 2018
New Delhi: The trial run of the Kolkata-Dhaka container train loaded with over 1,100 tonnes of animal feed flagged off today. While passenger & goods trains run between the two countries, this is the first time that a container service begin.
- Exporters forums had long been lobbying for container trains as they could save time and trade costs significantly apart from making trade safer and more organised.
- Container trains are usually used to ferry machine parts, chemicals, automobiles and consumer durables that involve a shorter transit time.
- Senior officials said, If successful, the service would drastically reduce the transportation time.
- The Concor (Container Corporation of India Limited), a PSU under the railway ministry will handle the logistics of the container service.
- The train will travel 300 km through Sealdah, Naihati, Ranaghat and Gede in India and Darsana and Ishurdi in Bangladesh before reaching Bangabandhu West station, 117 km from Dhaka.
Image Credit: Eastern Railway