Date Of Post: 06 Apr, 2018
New Delhi: Trains running on the three heritage railway lines in the hills will soon have air-conditioned coaches, Chairman Railway Board Ashwani Lohani said. While the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway or “the Toy Train” has successfully conceived, developed and run two air-conditioned narrow gauge coaches from April 1, the other two, would have air-conditioned coaches in the next 3-4 months, Lohani said.
- Lohani said,”Hill railways are very important. We are revamping the stations, we have given powers at the divisional level to fix rates for tourist charter and have also decided to appoint five directors for the five hill railways. This will greatly promote tourism in the area.”
- These trains will have one AC coach each, he added.
- 3 of the hill railways, the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and the Kalka-Shimla Railway are collectively designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the name Mountain Railways of India.
- The 4th railway, the Neral-Matheran Railway, is on a tentative list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites and the 5th is the Kangra Valley Railway.
- The ministry last month also issued directives to all divisions to consult with the IRCTC to give commissions and discounts to authorised travel agents & tourists.
Image Credit: AHEMSLTD~commonswiki