Date Of Post: 16 Mar, 2018
New Delhi: The track renewal target has been set at 3,900 km for 2018-19, the government, on Wednesday, informed Parliament. Track renewal works are undertaken as and when a stretch of track becomes due for renewal as per the criteria laid down by railways, Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain said, in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.
- He said, the track renewal target has been set at 3,900 km for 2018-19.
- The minister also provided zone wise renewal goals and the actual renewal carried out till now.
- In Central zone, while the target for renewal was 275 km, as of January 2018, actual renewal was 186 km.
- For South Central zone, while 147 km was the target, it achieved 154 km of renewal.
- South Western railway achieved 146 km of track renewal against a target of 170.
- The Southern Railway achieved 241 km of renewal as against the 406 km of set target.
- The railways had incurred an expenditure of Rs 6,540 crore in the year 2017-2018 in track renewal, while the expenditure a year earlier was Rs 6,397.97 crore, Gohain also pointed out.
Image Credit: Tomasz Sienicki – Wikimedia Commons