New Delhi: Indian Railways is set to launch a premium train service called Tejas Express between Mumbai & Goa this summer. Fitted with automatic doors, LCD screens, onboard wifi, tea/coffee vending machines, magazines and snack tables, 20 coaches Tejas Express will also serve cuisine curated by celebrity chefs. The premium Tejas Express service was announced in Rail Budget 2016-17.
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has said, Tejas will showcase the future of train travel in India.
- The Ministry of Railways said on Twitter on Monday, “Mumbai-Goa train journey will get as exciting as air travel from June.”
More things to know about the upcoming Tejas Express:
- Tejas Express will operate at speeds of 130 kmph and above.
- The train “will showcase the future of train travel in India”, offering onboard services such as entertainment, local cuisine, WiFi etc.
- Sources said, through one service provider for ensuring accountability and improved customer satisfaction.
- The Mumbai-Goa Tejas Express will have 20 coaches comprising executive class & chair cars.
- Catering service will be a part of Tejas fares like Rajdhani & Shatabdi trains.
- The coaches will have automatic doors & secured gangways for all coaches, a first for the Indian Railways.
- Currently automatic doors are operational in Metro trains only, while gangways, corridors between coaches, are not closed from the sides.
- Onboard facilities will include tea & coffee vending machines, magazines and snack tables, adding that the LCD screens meant for entertainment purpose will also be used for disseminating passenger-related information and safety instructions, news agency Press Trust of India said citing a senior Railway Ministry official.
- Other features on Tejas coaches will include integrated braille displays, digital destination boards, and electronic passenger reservation charts.
- There will also be water level indicators in bio-vaccum toilets, sensorized taps & hand driers.
- The train’s interior colour scheme will match the exterior for giving the passengers a feel of world class travel.
- After the Mumbai to Goa route, the Tejas service is expected to be pressed on the Delhi-Chandigarh route.