Date of Post: 23 Oct, 2017
Surat: Surat Railway Station is likely to get worth Rs 4,650 crore makeover under Ministry of Railways “Station Redevelopment” plan.
The redeveloped station is intended as a multi-model transport hub, with train, commuter rail & bus connectivity.
The mega project is likely to be commissioned by December 2018.
The Redeveloped Stations Will Provide Amenities Like-
- Digital signage
- Self-ticketing counters
- Executive lounges
Redevelopment Plan Soon
- An official said,“The redevelopment plan will be announced soon. We are expecting an expense of Rs 1 crore a sq ft. The money will be put in by the government.”
- Around Rs 650 crore (approx US$ 100 Million) would be spend on station redevelopment, while Rs 4,000 crore (approx US$ 615 Million) would be to develop a commercial complex connected to the multi-modal transport hub.
- The official said,“A joint venture for undertaking the project will be formed soon.”
- Railways is likely to form a joint venture for this with the state government & local bodies, the area to be developed on a revenue-sharing model.
- Last year, a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) was signed between Ministry of Railways, Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation & Surat Municipal Corporation in this regard.
- The plan is for the railways to hold 63% stake in the project, the state government around 34% and the remaining 3% by the local body.
The Project May Change The Face Of Surat
- The official said,“This is going to change the face of Surat; we want to make it (the station) one of the largest in Asia. The 140-metre building will be the tallest in the city. A 300-room five-star hotel will be attached to it.”
- For the hotel, operational rights have already been given to the Leela group.
- The Railway Board had reviewed its redevelopment policy after tepid responses from companies for the 23 stations put for bidding in February 2017.
- On an average redevelopment of a station is expected to cost Rs 400 crore (approx US$ 61.5 Million); major ones as in Delhi & Mumbai could see investment up to Rs 15,000 crore (approx US$ 2307.6 Million).