Chennai: When metro rail’s underground stations open for public use, they will be one of the coolest transit hubs. Literally. With modernised VACs (Ventilation and Air Conditioning Systems), Metro Stations will provide respite from the heat and connectivity between metro stations.
- VAC is a multipurpose system that keeps underground stations cool, ensures that air flows through the tunnels, draws out smoke during emergencies and removes heat generated by air conditioning systems & braking equipment on trains.
- An official said, all underground stations will be equipped with the modernised air conditioning system that CMRL (Chennai Metro Rail Ltd.) operators programme to maintain optimal temperature for passenger comfort.
- CMRL will open the city’s first underground metro rail line between Koyambedu and Nehru Park, a distance of about 8km, with 7 stations on the stretch.
- Metro rail officials say they will maintained the temperature at 27oC at the platform level of all underground stations, 17m below ground level, and at 28oC in the ticketing or concourse level, 8m beneath road level.
- An official said,”Passengers will be exposed to temperatures of more than 40oC during peak summer.”
- An official also said “So when they walk into underground stations, the temperature should not be so low that they feel cold. A drastic change in temperature affects anyone. We decided on the temperature levels for the underground stations after several rounds of discussions.”
- The air conditioning plants will maintain set temperatures day in and day out, no matter how large the crowd is or the ambient temperature above the stations, he said.