Date of Post: 09, Sep, 2017
Varanasi: The Uttar Pradesh government is in process of setting up Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC) instead of setting Metro Corporation for particular cities. Limited, an organisation to oversee construction of Metro rail projects in major cities of the state.
The formation of UPMRC was announced by chief minister Yogi Adityanath during the launch of Lucknow Metro on September 5.
- The state housing & urban planning department is learnt to be working on a draft proposal viz-a-viz UPMRC before putting it 4th in the state cabinet.
- The formation of UPMRC, will do away with separate corporations such as LMRC (Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation), sources said.
- The state government would instead appoint designated authorities to oversee implementation of Metro rail projects in respective cities.
- Mukul Singhal, Principal secretary (housing & urban planning), confirmed that separate corporations will be replaced by UPMRC.
- Singhal said,”This would allow the state government to remove the possibility of duplicates in Metro projects which are to be implemented in many cities other than Lucknow.”
- The state government would be able to take decisions of higher standards, by establishing a state-level Metro corporation, he said.
- The decision to set up a state-level Metro corporation was also driven by the Centre which has 50% equity in Metro projects, sources said.