Date of Post : June 17, 2017
Visakhapatnam: On Friday, the State government issued a notification declaring the areas falling under the 3 corridors of the proposed Metro rail under the Metropolitan Area of Visakhapatnam.
The 3 corridors are-
- Gajuwaka to Kommadi Junction via NAD Junction, Gurudwara, Maddilapalem & Hanumantavaka along National Highway-16 running to 30.381 kilometer.
- The 2nd corridor is of 5.255 kilometer from Gurudwara to Old Post Office covering Daba Gardens, Suryabaugh, Police Barracks & Purna Market.
- The 3rd corridor begins at Thatichetpalem & runs up to China Waltair via the Railway Station, RTC Complex, Sampath Vinayaka temple, Siripuram & AU Out-gate.
- The issue of the notification follows the GVMC Commissioner conveying the corporation’s willingness through a resolution to be brought under the Metropolitan Area.
- Sources said, issuing the notification is also mandatory under the provisions of the Metro Railways Act, 1978 & Metro Rail (Operation & Maintenance) Act.
- The total length of 42.55 kilometer runs through several arterial roads of the city & bringing Gajuwaka, into the proposed Metro network.
- Earlier, it was proposed only up to NAD and the extension was made after representation from MLAs.
- With the city’s outskirts ever-expanding and commutes taking a long time, a mass transit system will result in quick transportation.
- A revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) sent by the AMRC (Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation) to take up the Metro Rail Project under PPP (public-private-partnership) is awaiting the approval of the Union Finance Ministry.
- While the State government foots 20 per cent of the cost towards relief, rehabilitation & land acquisition, the Central government is expected to grant 20 per cent of the cost & the private party executing the unit 60 per cent.
- However, the Railway Minister has announced that New Metro Rail Policy & Metro Rail Act would be brought in.