Date of Post : 03 Aug, 2017
Vijayawada: The Andhra Pradesh govt. has decided to go with light metro which is called, Light Rail Technology (LRT), or Light Rapid Transit, extend one of the corridors till Gannavaram airport and add one more corridor from Pandit Nehru Bus Station (PNBS) to Jakkampudi colony.
With these latest decisions, Vijayawada metro rail will have 3 corridors of total 40 kilometer.
- The decisions were taken based on the report submitted by a public transport expert, Edward Datson, belonging to KfW (Kreditanstalt fur Wiederaufbau), a German financial institution, on the feasibility of light metro for Vijayawada city.
- Datson studied the demography of Vijayawada city & its peripheral areas, etc. various aspects, for 15days.
- He met the CM N Chandrababu Naidu on Wednesday & submitted his report.
- KfW had come forward to fund Vijayawada metro.
- With the new changes in the corridors the AMRC (Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation) will prepare new DPRs (Detailed Project Reports) & later call tenders.
- A similar metro is in operation in Gurugram in the National Capital Region (NCR) and the report that was submitted to Naidu on Wednesday also included the details of the interactions that he had with Gurgaon light metro operators, Datson said.
- AMRC, MD, N P Ramakrishna Reddy said,”Based on Datson’s report and the report submitted by the state government’s high level committee that visited China and Malaysia last month to study alternative public transport systems, the chief minister has taken the crucial decision to establish light metro, which will reduce both the capital cost and the annual operational maintenance cost.”
- Against the heavy metro, the state government can save at least 25% on capital costs & 20% on annual maintenance costs with the light metro.
- * 50% less land also has to be acquired for the light metro.