Date of Post: 05 Jan, 2018
New Delhi: Efforts are on to connect all state capitals in the Northeast with double track railway lines by 2020, the Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Jitendra Singh, told the Rajya Sabha. Replying to questions, he said the government was seeking to develop the northeastern states by creating infrastructure & entrepreneurship facilities in the region.
- Rail connectivity between Aizawl & Imphal would be in place by 2020 when a double gauge track would be laid, Singh said.
- He said,”In the next one year, we will have a double gauge rail track in all the states except, perhaps, Sikkim, because of topographic reasons… All state capitals in the northeast will be connected with double track railway lines.”
- He said, work on the double track in Imphal had started and would be complete by 2019.
- He told members in the Upper House,”A total sum of Rs 5,606 crore has been earmarked for it along with 15 new rail lines and 6 double track projects.”
- Guwahati, Itanagar & Agartala already had double tracks, while Imphal would be double-tracked by next year, Singh said.
Image Credit: Belur Ashok – Flickr