Date of Post: 29 Oct, 2018
Railways has set up a separate team to ensure speedy trials of the first indigenously-built semi-high speed train, Train-18, that will roll out today from ICF (Integral Coach Factory), Chennai. A separate directorate of 6 senior officials has been created In the RDSO (Research Designs & Standards Organisation) to ensure speedy trials of the Train 18 and subsequently other such trains in future on the Indian rail network.
- Before reaching New Delhi on Nov 7, the brand new Train-18 will undergo short runs near ICF for 5 days for testing its braking system, the on board air conditioning and other systems as well as for familiarising the crew with the control systems.
- A senior Railway Ministry official said, “The new train will then move to the Moradabad-Bareli section for 150 kmph speed trials for a few days.”
- Thereafter, the train will run from Kota to Sawai Madhopur for the final trial at a speed of 160 kmph.
- The official said, “Both sections will have empty and sandbag loaded trials and the RDSO will monitor the entire process before giving the green signal for the commercial run between Delhi and Bhopal.”
- It will have two executive compartments in the middle with 52 seats eachan and the other coaches will have 78 seats each, and also driven by a self-propulsion module and installed with CCTV cameras.
- It is estimated to cost about Rs 100 crore.
- This first trainset will have some few imported components such as French-made seats, brakes and couplers from Germany, along with a Czech-made door system, all of which are to be indigenised for the next rake.
- ICF will be manufacturing 6 trainsets under the Train-18 programme, of which 2 are planned with sleeper class coaches.
Some other features of the Train 18 are –
- Rotating seats which can be aligned in the direction of travel
- Onboard infotainment system with non-stop Wi-Fi
- Vacuum toilets
- Sliding doors and continuous windows for a contemporary modern look
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .