Date : 13 June, 2017
KOCHI: Kochi Metro is going to be inaugurated by Honourable Prime Minister of the Nation Sh. Narendra Modi on June 17, Saturday. Following the inauguration, the Special children and inmates of old age homes would be treated with a joyride on Kochi Metro on Sunday.
- Date : June 17, 2017 (Saturday)
- Inaugurated By : Prime Minister of India Sh. Narendra Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will board the Kochi Metro train from Palarivattom and travel till Pathadippalam along with other dignitaries after inaugurating the Metro at 11am on Saturday, said KMRL spokesperson.
Kochi Metro Authorities Plan
- Authorities are planning to offer a free ride for them a day after the commissioning of Metro by the Prime Minister on Saturday.
- “Our plan is to provide an opportunity to those who otherwise may not get a chance to take a ride on the Metro. Disabled kids like those with autism will be given an opportunity to travel in Metro on the day. The services throughout the day would be exclusively for them,” an official with KMRL said.
- “The social welfare department would be giving the list of those eligible for the ride. We would be offering the service as per the list given by the social welfare department,” the official said.
- There are also plans to rope in film stars or other celebrities to accompany the children during the ride. “The decision will have to get the nod from KMRL director board. The negotiation with celebrities are going on. But we haven’t finalized them,” the official said.
- Kochi mayor and councillors took a Metro ride on Monday.
- People’s representatives from local bodies such as Kalamassery and Aluva municipalities and Choornikkara grama panchayat also enjoyed the Metro ride.
Medical Facilities at Stations
- Meanwhile, KMRL authorities have selected Medical Trust hospital as the medical partner for Kochi Metro for a period of three years.
- According to the agreement, KMRL will provide space for setting up the medical desk and the hospital will provide emergency medical care in all stations.
- The hospital has to bring in infrastructure and staff required for operating the facility.
- Medical Trust would be deploying ICU ambulance facility at every 5km distance to cover any emergencies along the metro alignment.
- The holders of Kochi-1 cards to be introduced by KMRL will also get discounts for their treatment. Based on the agreement, the hospital would also provide medical assistance to KMRL initiatives like marathon, walkathon, cyclathon, etc.