Date of Post: 21 Sep, 2018
Chennai: The Southern Railway (SR) has successfully conducted a trial run of a ‘road railer’ which will facilitate ‘door-to-door’ transportation of goods. The trial was conducted between Melpakkam and Katpadi section of Chennai division on Wednesday. Fitted with wheels akin to normal trucks, road railers carrying cargo will travel by road till it reaches a railway goods terminal, a SR release said on Thursday.
- The road railer units will then be directly coupled with railway wagons, eliminating the task of loading and unloading of consignments.
- After reaching the receiving terminal by rail, the units containing the goods would be decoupled and attached to trucks to be delivered to customers by road.
- A private company, KPCL (Kirloskar Pneumatic Co Ltd), has tied up with Southern Railway to provide such specially-designed road railers.
- Southern Railway would operate and maintain them.
- The release said, the “first and last-mile (road) operations” of the road railers would be taken care by the company and its strategic partners.
- It said,”Southern Railway will shortly announce the commercial run between Chennai and Palwal (Haryana), the two road railer terminals established by KPCL.”
- According to the release, road railers will offer a holistic logistics solution in diverting cargo traffic from road to rail and to offer seamless door-to-door goods transportation.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .