Date of Post: 10 Nov, 2017
Chennai: The Southern Railway began works to set up rooftop solar power panels at Chennai Central & Egmore railway stations. The work is going on in full swing and is expected to get completed in a few months. A senior railway officials said,“All platforms, including Moore Market Complex, have been provided with LED lights. A portion of the station’s power requirement will be tapped through solar panel in another two months.”
- As part of railways mission to increase the green power generation up to 50 MW for 2017, the SR has been tasked to generate 4 MW during the first phase.
- The project is proposed to be carried out at the cost of Rs 32 crore through the PPP (Public-Private Partnership) Model.
- Sources said, in the event of fall in prices of power tapped through solar plants compared to conventional power sources, the Railways would buy the plants from the company.
- Initially, solar power plants were proposed at Chennai, Salem & Tiruchy.
IGBC Green Ratings
- The move is also aimed at getting green ratings from the IGBC (Indian Green Building Council).
- Chennai Central has been chosen as one of the 5 stations for getting the green ratings.
- A proposal on solid waste management & sustainable utilisation of resources has been submitted.