Date : 17 Nov, 2017
Kolkata: The SER (South Eastern Railway) has started installing a cutting-edge solid state interlocking system (SSI) at Kharagpur Railway Station that will enable workers to set 800 different routes for trains in a matter of minutes. The system will be Asia’s largest Interlocking System. It will start operating from Sunday.
- The RRI system was of the pre-1980 era and it had crossed its codal-life, Suchitto Kumar Das, SER, principal chief operating manager, said.
- The new system will cost around Rs 39 crore.
- The path of the train is set in a way that it crosses many tracks during its journey, he said.
- The interlocking system will ensure that the trains do not collide during crossings.
- Tests had been conducted for the past 7-8 months, he added.
Work To Install The System Had Started
- Work to install the system had started on November 4.
- Work to installing the system will continue till Sunday.
- Das said,“Platforms 7 & 8 at Kharagpur will also be made operational during this work. We will also link a 3rd line from Howrah and a 2nd line from Midnapore to the Kharagpur yard by Sunday. This will enhance capacity further.