Date of Post: 09 Jan, 2019
SGS has provided technical inspection services for the India’s longest Rail-Cum-Road ‘Bogibeel Bridge’ Project over the river Brahmaputra in Dibrugarh, Assam. The bridge measures 4.94 km in length, with a double-line rail track on the lower deck and a 10-meter carriageway on the top deck with 0.6-meter wide footpath on both sides.
- The Bogibeel Project, a major undertaking connecting the states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh in North eastern India, was declared a National Project by Indian Railways in 2007.
- As the bridge uses the latest fully welded triangulated truss technology with welded connections and composite structure for road decking – used in application for the first time by Indian Railways – a range of specialized technical inspection was required.
- SGS was commissioned by NorthEast Frontier Railway to provide 3rd-party technical inspection for the project in April 2014.
- For over 4 and a half years, a team of 21 SGS experts was deployed on site to conduct a wide range of technical inspections, including welding testing and non-destructive testing (NDT).
- The Bogibeel Bridge was opened on December 25 last year by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- “We are proud to be part of this National Project on infrastructure development in North Eastern India, which positively impacts the lives of millions of people by enhancing connectivity between the states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. Our independent Technical Inspection services helped to build this heavy-duty structure, which is designed to bear heavy weights and heavy moving loads, and ensure compliance with the relevant quality standards to be best-in-class,” Cresenciano G. Maramot, SGS India Managing Director, said.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
05 Jan, 2019: Free Wi-Fi at 2000 railway stations soon
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .