Date of Post: 19 Dec, 2017
New Delhi: SAIL, supplied 6.20 lakh tonnes of rails to the Indian Railways during 2016-17, Parliament was informed. As per an MoU, state-run Steel Authority of India (SAIL) is, currently, the only company supplying rails to the railways.
- SAIL has taken steps to augment its capacity by setting up a rail mill at its Bhilai Steel Plant in Chhattisgarh.
- SAIL manufactures 260-metre long rails at its Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP) in Chhattisgarh.
- Recently, the Ministry of Railways floated a global tender to procure 7 lakh tonnes of rails worth Rs 3,500 crore.
- This is the first time that the railways has come up with such a tender.
- Naveen Jindal-led JSPL (Jindal Steel & Power Ltd), the only domestic player holding experience in rails making & supplying, is interested in the tender.
- Its Raigarh plant has a capacity to produce 1 million tonnes of rails, around 30% more than the railways requirement.
Image Credit: Sail