Date of Post: 08 Jan, 2019
Indian Railways would require 14 lakh tonne of steel during 2018-19, of which state-run SAIL expects to supply 10 lakh tonne, Parliament was informed on Monday. In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Steel Vishnu Deo Sai said,”SAIL expects to supply 10 lakh tonne of steel in 2018-19 and 12 lakh in 2019-20 to Indian Railways for doubling of rail lines, gauge conversion, new lines and track renewal works.”
- He informed the Lower House, the Railways has indicated its demand of around 14 lakh tonne during 2018-19 and 17 lakh tonne in 2019-20.
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has established Universal Rail Mill (URM) in its Bhilai Steel Plant to enhance the manufacturing capabilities of Rails to cope up with increasing demand of railway requirements, he said.
- The production from the 1.2 MTPA capacity URM has commenced from November, 2016.
- Bhilai Steel Plant undertook modernisation and expansion plan along with other integrated steel plants under SAIL with capacity enhancement of crude steel from 3.93 MTPA to 7.0 MTPA, the minister informed.
- This included the installation of URM.
- Only two steel companies manufacture rails in india, these are:
- SAIL manufactures 260-metre long rails at Bhilai Steel Plant.
- Naveen Jindal-led JSPL (Jindal Steel and Power Limited) makes 121-metre long rail track at Raigarh unit and can weld these rails up to 480 metre.
- SAIL was the only supplier of rails to the Indian Railways until JSPL bagged an order in July last year to supply one lakh tonne rails.
- Railways is looking at 4,000 kilometer of track renewal in each financial years 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The national transporter had invited the global tender for procuring about 4.87 lakh tonne of rails after anticipating that SAIL would not be able to supply the required amount of rails.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .