Date Of Post: 08 Mar, 2018
Varanasi: The Railways has ongoing projects worth over Rs 4,500 crore in Varanasi, the government informed Parliament. While projects worth Rs 3,938.78 crore were currently underway and will cater to areas near the city, projects worth Rs 616.91 crore were being implemented in the municipal limits of Varanasi, Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain said, in a written reply in the Lok Sabha. He said, these have been included in the budget.
- The minister listed the various projects being undertaken by the Railways, including a 3rd line between Varanasi & Mughalsarai with a sub structure of 2 lines on the 16.72km Maliya Bridge.
- Gohain said, this is a new project included in budget 2017-18 & costs Rs 2,005 crore.
- Work on 17 FoBs (Foot-over-Bridges) across rail stations, worth Rs 14 crore, was in progress in the Varanasi division, while earth ridge work & ballast supply were underway in the 122 km Varanasi-Madhosingh-Allahabad stretch at a cost of Rs 750.56 crore.
- A major thrust of the railways would be on remodelling of yards, construction of new platforms, beautification, augmentation of passenger amenities such as waiting halls & approach roads at a total cost of Rs 560 crore.
- Gohain said, a sum of Rs 57 crore has also been earmarked for 6 stations, which will be developed in association with the Ministry of Tourism, they are-
- Delhi Safdarjung
Image Credit: Challiyan at Malayalam Wikipedia