Date of Post : 26 Aug, 2017
Surat: Work on the much awaited Surat Metro Project is going to start in January next year. The Detailed Project Report for the same has been sent to the Central Government for approval.
WHAT THE DETAILED PROJECT REPORT SAYS
- Estimated Project Cost : Rs 15,234 Crore
- Funding : 60% of the cost will come in the form of loan from Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) of Beijing and rest 40% will be borne by the Central and state governments.
- Detailed Project Report Prepared By : Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)
- The project will have two corridors :
- One is from Sarthana to Dream City which will be 21.61 km long
- The other one is from Bhesan to Saroli which will be 18.74 km long
- These two corridors will intersect at Majura Gate.
- Nodal Agency for Surat Metro : MEGA (Metro-Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad) is currently hand holding the project. And MEGA will handle the project till the SPV for the project is formed.
- Phase I will have 38 stations in total with 40.35 km length.
SURAT METRO FEATURES
- Surat Metro will look much similar to Delhi’s Pink line Metro Which is the first Driverless Metro of India.
- Maximum Speed of the metro rail will be 90 kmph.
- Surat Metro rail will use Continuous Automatic Control System which enables automatic braking in case of any emergency.
- The metro will run on standard gauge and initially deploy only 3 coaches train which will be increased to 6 as and when the no. of commuters rise.
- Due to the safety concern the Nodal Agency for Surat Metro will consider the modern safety technology parameters to ensure passenger safety and security.
- Bombardier, Alstom & BEML are in line to make the metro rakes for Surat Metro.
“The project is being constructed on the same model as that of Ahmedabad metro rail… We are expecting to begin work on this project in 2018,” said a senior official linked to the project.