Date Of Post: 13 Feb, 2018
Bengaluru: RITES Ltd. to prepare a DPR (Detailed Project Report) for the suburban rail project in Bengaluru. R.S. Saxena, Divisional Railway Manager, South Western Railway, said,“We have approached RITES to prepare the DPR. Generally, it takes 9 to 10 months to prepare the DPR, but we are hoping to get it in 3 to 4 months.”
- The Union govt. has sanctioned Rs 12,000 crore for the construction of elevated/at-grade corridors for augmentation of line capacity for 142 km, Saxena said.
- The total route of suburban rail system is 161 km — that includes 19 km route between Bengaluru Cantonment & Whitefield, which is under consideration for quadrupling, with the railways having sanctioned work at the cost of Rs 492 crore.
- However, railway officials refused to fix a deadline for the completion of the project.
- Saxena said,“As of now, we only have the pre-feasibility study. Let the DPR come first.”
- The DPR will elaborate on how to execute the project, and whether it will be in a phased manner, Saxena added.
Image Credit: Adityamadhav83 – Wikimedia Commons