New Delhi: The Indian Railways (IR) is working on a roadmap to collaborate with Malaysia to redevelop around 20 stations in Tier-II cities across India.
- The redevelopment project is aimed at attracting about Rs 1 lakh crore private investment & is also expected to revamp the infrastructure at platforms as well as circulating areas.
- Also, commercial development of station areas is in focus.
- Reportedly, it will forge a long-term partnership with Malaysia on a government-to-government grounds for the same, a senior Railway Ministry official stated.
- Recently, a meeting was conducted with the Malaysian officials, in which they expressed interest in the station redevelopment project.
- An ambitious project offering about 400 stations to be redeveloped in PPP (Public–private partnership) model, has already been launched by the Indian Railways.