Date of Post: 21 May, 2018
New Delhi: For the first time, the railways will use Artificial Intelligence (AI) to control air circulation, signages and even supervision and maintenance work in the 10.28 km long tunnel in Imphal as part of its 110 km railway line from Jiribam to Manipur’s capital city.
- While the railways is already using this technique to detect flaws or problems in the signalling system on a real-time basis and rectifying it in order to avoid possible delays & mishaps, this is the first time that such a technology will be used in a tunnel in the country.
- Yogesh Verma, deputy chief, construction, Northeast Frontier Railway, said,“The system will control air circulation in the system, along with other aspects. It will alert the passenger in case of fire and help us in quick evacuation in case of any issue. This tunnel is specially unique as it also has a safety tunnel at every 500 meters.”
- Verma said,”So, in case of an accident or any mishap, all a passenger has to do is go 500 meters into the safety tunnel and through signages find his way out. The entire thing will be controlled by artificial intelligence.”
- This tunnel is one of 47 such tunnels in the Jiribam-Imphal line.
About The System-
- The system will continuously monitor signals, track circuits, axle counters and their sub-systems of interlocking, power supply systems, including the voltage and current levels, relays, timers – collect the data on a pre-determined interval and send them to a central location.
- While it will help run trains safely through the tunnel, it will also help its management & maintenance.
- AI will help engineers & inspectors organise and analyse data collected about specific tunnels.
- Officials said, the results of this data can then be evaluated and used to predict future tunnel deterioration patterns and corresponding maintenance needs.
- Also, this system will be used in the Hyderabad, Mumbai & Ahmedabad metros.
Image Credit: Momon Thoudam
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .