Date of Post: 29 Aug, 2018
Raebareli: The Indian Railways unveiled its first state-of-the-art coach also called “Smart Coach” manufactured at the Modern Coach Factory (MCF), Raebareli. A statement from the railway ministry said, equipped with modern sensors and centralized computer to monitor the status of all sensors through a single window, this coach is on LHB platform.
- The coach has vibration-based self-power harvesting sensor on the axle box which will predict the defects on the bearings, wheel defects and hard spot (defects) on the track.
- It said, it will enable the railways to plan their maintenance on exactly need basis and will also eliminate line failures.
- The Central Processing Unit, known as ‘PICCU’ (Passenger Information and Coach Computing Unit), an industrial grade computer has been provided with GSM network and will primarily monitor the important area of coach maintenance and passenger interface.
- The passenger information system will inform the passengers about the current location of the train and the next station and also expected time of arrival at the next station.
- The statement said, this system can also show the speed of the train.
- CCTV with artificial intelligence capability will enhance the security of the passengers and also monitor of the behaviour and activities of on Board railway staff.
- The ministry said,”The footage will also help in investigation into any untoward incident during the journey and identifying the culprits and in direct intervention from remote control centre.”
- This “smart coach” is also provided with the emergency talk back system for communication between the passengers (especially woman and child) and the guard of the train so that necessary assistance can be provided.
- The statement said that a pilot project is being launched to turn out minimum 100 more smart coaches to gain experience and validate.
Image Credit: Northern Railway
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .