Date of Post : 19 June, 2017
NEW DELHI: The Railways all set to equip main trunk routes with high speed mobile communication system. This will also help in real-time monitoring of assets besides ensuring direct communication between gangmen & loco pilots & station masters on condition of tracks.
* Considered as one of the areas essential for transforming rail operation, the state-run transporter will be setting up the high speed mobile communication corridor at an estimated cost of Rs 5,000 crore (approx US$ 781.25 Million) through Public-private partnership (PPP) model.
* At present, the Railways has been using wireless systems for operational applications.
* It has deployed GSM-R networks on select routes for operational voice communications between train drivers & train controllers.
* A senior official of the signal & telecom wing of the Railway Ministry said,”Now we are planning to migrate to LTE-R (Long Term Evolution-Railways) technology from GSM-R (Global System for Mobile Communication-Railways), for creating high speed train communication corridor.”
* The high speed mobile corridor aims to support various safety, train operation & train management systems apart from offering broadband service to passengers.
* The official said, the system shall fulfil all these needs of passengers by setting up dedicated broadband network along the railway tracks.
* Also, it would improve travel comfort of passengers by providing real-time multimedia information & access to social networks in stations or on the go.
* It is expected that once implemented, the corridor will not only help in real-time monitoring of the assets, its maintenance & management, but will also help the Railways to provide next generation mobile train radio communication between control office & crew of the trains for safe train operations.
* The Railways has implemented mobile train radio communication system on 2,541 kilometer route & further works on 3,408 kilometer route are in progress.