Date of Post: 20 Oct, 2017
Assam: Railways set 2020 deadline for railway connectivity to all North Eastern States. In the last Budget, a number of works had been sanctioned for Assam & the North Eastern States, said Chahatey Ram, General Manager of the Maligaon-headquartered Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR).
- Sivasagar-Jorhat new line (62 km)
- Salona-Khumtai new line (99 km)
- Tezpur-Silghat new line, which includes construction of a new double-line bridge at Silghat
Final location surveys of all these projects are in progress. Moreover, doubling of mainline from New Jalpaiguri to Lumding has been sanctioned.
- “Railway electrification has also been sanctioned from Malda/Katihar to Dibrugarh. The balance section of NFR has also been proposed for electrification,” he said.
- The NFR zone is an active theatre for implementation of the Central Government’s ‘Act East’ policy, he said.
- The General Manager said,“As such, work is in progress for connectivity to all State capitals of the North East by 2020.”
- He added,“All goods and passenger trains are interchanged in zonal boundaries. If a separate zone for the North Eastern States is created, all long-distance trains will encounter greater number of interchange points, which will result in avoidable delay leading to increase in travel time. This will cause unnecessary hardship to the passengers. As far as the long-term interests of this region are concerned, the present jurisdictional arrangement is favourable. No useful purpose will be served by carving out a separate zone exclusively for the North Eastern States.”