Date Of Post: 12 May, 2018
Soon Railways is expected to roll out Moden Coaches , billed as Smart coaches .
- These Coaches will be equipped with black boxes and coach information and diagnostics systems.
- The black boxes, a first for the railways, will have a powerful multi-dimensional communication interface to provide all kinds of information on coach condition and also passenger-related information on a real -time basis .
- The first smart coach will be unveiled at the Rae Bareli Coach Factory on May 11, National Technology Day, as a pilot project.
- The most effective enabler for the system would be monitoring of critical components that have been identified as major causes for derailments and delays, and for causing deterioration in rail infrastructure.
- The condition monitoring system aims to strengthen the security and safety in train operation as it will have integrated CCTV and information system which will constantly update the health of the coach — from oscillatory behavior, coach diagnostics and heating, ventilation and air conditioning and water management, among others.
- According to the system, the on-board sensors constantly record vibrations and temperatures. Anomalies in vibration are the earliest indicator that something may be wrong with the bearings in the wheels of a coach.
- This allows for operators to mark those bearings out for careful observation, thus preventing any further damage.
- Detection of bearing fault at this early stage will help prevent incidents and maintenance schedules can be planned accordingly.
- To this end, the mainstay of the smart coach would be the wireless sensor modes that, once fitted on every wheel, help monitor the health of the wheel and its bearings.
- It would cost an additional Rs 15 to Rs 20 lakh per coach as most of the systems like the CCTV, passenger information system, fire extinguishers and the like are already a part of the system.
Image Credit: PTI