Date Of Post: 13 Feb, 2018
New Delhi: The Railways is planning to announce 10,000 kms of new high-speed corridors in April 2018 for trains to run at speed of 200-250 kmph.
The Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has asked officials to identify the corridors and work on cutting the cost of construction by less than half.
- To bring the cost down, the ministry is considering options such as building single pillar, 2 track corridors on the top of highways or building them on existing railway land.
- A senior official said,“This will significantly reduce the cost on land acquisition which is a major component on expenditure incurred on any project after the new act was enforced.”
- The purpose of the project would be to link financial centres throughout the country.
- Many of these corridors would be developed on short routes to provide an alternative to air travel.
- An official noted,“At present intercity train between Mumbai and Pune take around three hours. If we can bring down the travel time to an hour or an hour and a half, then passengers are likely to use the high-speed train.”
Image Credit: Mitsuki-2368 | Wikimedia Commons