Date of Post : 04 July, 2017
New Delhi: Railways is planning to induct a new ‘Economy AC coaches’ for commuters who want to travel in air conditioned coaches at low fares.
The new ‘Economy AC coaches’ will have fares less than the regular 3AC tariff.
The proposed fully AC train will have 3-tier Economy AC coaches besides AC-3, AC-2 and AC-1 classes as part of the transformation exercise. An added feature would be automatic doors.
- The commuters will not require blankets in the Economy AC class like other AC coaches as the temperature will be around 24-25 degrees.
- Presently, Mail & Express trains have Sleeper, 3rd AC, 2nd AC & First AC classes while Rajdhani, Shatabdi & recently introduced Humsafar & Tejas trains are fully air- conditioned.
- The railways is exploring an idea to introduce fully AC trains on selected routes, aiming to provide comfort by facilitating AC travel for maximum passengers.
- An exercise has been undertaken for a transformation in service by upgrading existing facilities in trains & stations and a separate cell has been created by the Railways for this.
- A senior Railway Ministry official,”There will not be any chilling effect like in other AC classes and the temperature will be fixed around 24-25 degrees. The aim is to make the passengers comfortable and not make them feel the outside heat.”
- Railways has recently launched the Humsafar Express, comprising 3-AC coaches only, has become very popular.
- The fully AC train with more Economy AC coaches is expected to cater more passengers.
- The official added, however, the details of the Economy AC class are to be worked out before deciding for manufacturing such coaches.