Date Of Post: 01 May, 2018
New Delhi: Railways plan to provide parking spaces for app-based cab services within station premises to enable passengers get their next mode of transport within minutes of their arrival. A senior official said that the Railway Board has directed its zones to prepare a blueprint to replicate such a model existing in some stations of Bangalore and present an action taken report in the next 3 months.
- The official said,”Just like airports the plan is to have exclusive parking spaces for each app-based cab service. It is provided in 12 stations in Bangalore for Uber and Ola on open tender basis. Passengers can either book their cabs on their mobiles or we can have dedicated help desks which can help them book their rides. This will ensure seamless movement of traffic to and fro from stations.”
- While across the country cab aggregators like Ola have signed MoUs with different railway zones to operate in designated stations, this move will ensure that all such service providers can bid for space at competitive rates and the model can be followed across the railway network.
About This New Concept-
- The new concept was introduced at the Bangalore City Junction Railway Station (SBC) where a dedicated Ola & Uber pick up zones within railway station premises was created.
- The arrangement enables the two services to park their vehicles at a designated area inside SBC premises, and reach a passenger within 2 minutes of them booking the cabs.
- For passengers without a smartphone or app, representatives will book a cab and share driver details over SMS.
- The Railway Board has now asked zones across the railway network to replicate this model.
- In fact, the model also has great potential for revenue generation – while the SBCs average per annum earning through this model has been around Rs 15 crore, in Mysore, where it was started in December last year, the earnings were Rs 84,000 per month, the board in its letter has said.
- “The idea came to the notice of the board through the good work website where zones upload the innovations that they do in their areas. The board has listed 25 such good work and asked the zones to replicate them.”
- Another official said,”This one is specially unique as it not only helps passengers get their next mode of transport quickly, but also helps in decongesting the stations. Also, since the payment is through the application, there will no haggling over prices, routes.”
Image Credit: Adityamadhav83 – Wikimedia Commons
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .