Date Of Post: 18 Jan, 2018
New Delhi: Railways will make a budget provision of Rs 3,400 crore for installing around 3,000 escalators & 1,000 lifts at all major urban & suburban stations across the country.
2,589 escalators will be installed at stations on the rail network in the country, while 372 escalators are meant to cover all stations including in Mumbai-
- Elphinstone Road
- Large-scale installation of escalators and lifts would lead to an economy of scale, with reduction in cost, according to a railway ministry official who did not want to be named.
- Currently, an escalator costs around Rs 1 crore and a lift about Rs 40 lakh.
- Recently, railways revised the criteria for making urban & suburban stations eligible for installation of escalators from earnings-basis to footfalls.
- Now all those stations which have 25,000 footfalls or more a year are selected for such installations.
- The official said, this time the focus of the Railway Budget is on safety & passenger amenities so it was decided to extend the facility to all major urban and suburban stations.
- He said, the proposal of earmarking the provision for the escalators in Budget for 2018-2019 was being finalised.
Image Credit: Rakesh Krishna Kumar – Flickr