Date of Post: 25 Nov, 2017
New Delhi: The Railways is looking to float tenders for electrification of 7,000 kilometer of track by March 2018 under the EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction) mode, a source said. The national carrier will conduct pre-bid meetings, which for the first time may include foreign companies, the source added.
- The source said,“Tenders will be of suitable size considering issues like geographical proximity and to achieve the economies of scale.”
- The budgetary allocation for the plan is Rs 34.56 billion.
- Union Railway Minister Mr Piyush Goyal had earlier indicated that the network may offer large size tenders in place of the 30-40 km route size it traditionally offers.
- He was in favour of offering each tender for 500 km & above to save on costs.
Electrification Of Rail Routes-
- The source said,“With electrification, seamless traction will be possible and the cost of fuel will reduce substantially.”
- Railways aims to complete the electrification of the India’s busiest railway route in the next 36-42 months & of the entire network by 2021, Railway Board member Ghan Shyam Singh had said on October 27.
- At present, Indian Railways has 30,000 km of electrified track, which accounts for 45% of its overall network, the fourth-largest in the world.