Date Of Post: 17 Mar, 2018
New Delhi: The Indian Railways are gearing up to introduce India’s first “Indigenously” made semi high-speed train equipped to run 160 kmph. The train will go on tracks in June this year. It is set to be deployed in place of one of the premium Shatabdi Express trains.
About The Train-
- The train will be self-driven on electric traction just like the metro train, and won’t need a locomotive to drive it.
- Apart from the high speed, the train can accelerate quickly, helping to cut travel time.
- The train will have 16 coaches, and every coach will be worth Rs 6 crore.
- The train will be given spacious chair-car seating and will be enhanced with all modern facilities.
- The total cost of the train is estimated to be Rs 100 crore.
- The train is being made by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai.
- Sudhanshu Mani, General Manager, ICF, said,“This will be the first ever semi high-speed train that is being manufactured by Indian Railways on its own. The train set would be able to run at the speed of 160 km per hour, making it the fastest in the country.”
- ICF is focusing towards making high-end train sets under the Indian Government’s ‘Make in India’ project.
- Mani said,“We’ll be producing a record number of 2,500 rail coaches including 1,100 LHB coaches this year, which will be the highest ever for the ICF facility.”