Date Of Post: 23 Jan, 2018
New Delhi: Railways is pitching for the procurement of around 12 lakh CCTV cameras to ensure state-of-the-art surveillance systems in all trains & stations across the country.
Cameras In All Trains & Stations-
- The Railways will make a provision of around Rs 3,000 crore in its budget for 2018-19 to install CCTV systems in all 11,000 trains – including premier & suburban services – and all the 8,500 stations in the Indian rail network, to provide safety & security at rail premises.
- As per the plan, while each coach will have 8 CCTV cameras covering the entry gates, aisle & vestibules, all crucial points at stations will have the systems.
- At present, there are around 395 stations & 50 trains that are equipped with CCTV systems.
- A senior Railway Ministry official, said,”All mail/express and premier trains, including Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto and local passenger services, will be equipped with the modern surveillance systems in the next two years.”
- Railways is exploring various options to fund the installation of the CCTV surveillance systems im and may even raise resources from the market if needed.
Image Credit: Pratheepps – Wikimedia Commons
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance Minister, would roll out the details of provision for strengthening safety mechanism in train operations in his Budget 2018-19.
- Elimination of 4,943 unmanned level-crossings, replacement of all old tracks & strengthening of the remaining tracks are among other safety-related proposals that will be highlighted in the budget.
- The official said, it has been decided to eliminate all unmanned level crossings by 2020.
Image Credit: Debashis.jena16 – Wikimedia Commons