Date of Post : 08 October, 2018
Railway Board has initiated “Project Utkrisht” for upgrading the existing Mail/Express rakes to ensure better on-board experience, cleanliness and hygiene to passengers. Total of 640 rakes in two phases is planned to be upgraded. Kalka Mail (12311/12312) traversing between Howrah-Delhi-Kalka has been undertaken as first train for up gradation and its first Rake was put to service on its maiden journey on 02nd October 2018 on auspicious occasion of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Salient features incorporated in rake are:
- Renovated furnishings in coach with glossy and colorful vinyl wrapping for aesthetic look.
- All lights converted to LED giving better illumination.
- Stainless steel paneling and anti skid flooring, stainless steel dustbin, better quality and larger mirrors etc. have been provided for better user experience.
- A Hybrid Design Bio Toilet innovated by Indian Railway and named as “Swachh Rail Toilet” (SRT) has been fitted in all coaches, giving odorless experience.
- Toilets have also been provided with improved fittings like Health faucet, taps, stainless steel basins etc.
- The coach exterior has been completely re-painted to a new scheme.
- The rake has been upgraded at a cost of approximately Rs. 60 Lakhs.
Northern Railway is likely to issue LOA for 8 rakes within a week. Work of these eight rakes will be completed by December 2018. Further, tender for 56 rakes is planned to be invited shortly. These rakes shall be completed by December 2019.
Northern Railway “Utkrisht plus” rakes will have additional features like Wi-Fi Hot-Spot based infotainment system.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Source: Northern Railway