Date of Post: 10 Nov, 2018
Railways and Government PSUs have placed orders for iron and steel to the tune of Rs 8,129 crore with domestic manufacturers during June 2017 to October 2018, the Ministry of Steel said. With such placement of orders demand for domestic iron and steel products have witnessed a substantial growth, it said.
- The Ministry of Steel said in a statement,”Efforts made by the Ministry of Steel have ensured placement of orders for domestic iron and steel to the tune of Rs 8,129 crore from June 2017 to October 2018.”
- The Ministry of Railways, ONGC, GAIL, EIL and HPCL have placed orders with domestic iron and steel manufactures for various categories of rails, pipe and tubes, it said.
- These products were earlier imported but are now being procured from domestic producers.
- The statement said,”Discussions are on with Ministry of Railways to increase consumption of rails manufactured indigenously either through SAIL or other domestic manufactures. Efforts are also being made to on-board sectors like Defence and CPWD so that use of steel products manufactured in India grows.”
- In order to give preference to domestically manufactured iron and steel products (DMI&SP) in government procurement, Ministry of Steel had promulgated a Policy, which was notified on May 8, 2017.
- The statement said, to ensure that the policy is implemented in letter and spirit, a Standing Committee under the Ministry of Steel chaired by steel secretary has been constituted to oversee its implementation.
- It said, a grievance committee has also been constituted to carry out grievance redressal which may arise while implementing the DMI&SP Policy.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information