Date Of Post: 24 Apr, 2018
New Delhi: The country will get its first 2 ‘airport-like’ railway stations — Habibganj & Gandhinagar — in 9 months from now as part of the railways Rs 1 lakh crore station redevelopment programme, a senior official said. S K Lohia, Managing Director & CEO, Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC) said, While Madhya Pradesh’s Habibganj station will be ready by December, Gujarat’s Gandhinagar station will be completed by January 2019.
Lohia said,”The entire responsibility of maintenance and revenue generation from these stations lies with the IRSDC and we have to make sure that these stations are revenue surplus and to the extent that it can be invested back in the maintenance and development of the station.”
- He said, once fully ready, the cost of maintenance of the Habibganj station will be in the range of Rs 4-5 crore.
- The estimated revenue will be between Rs 6.5 to Rs 7 crore per annum with a planned increase to over Rs 10 crore per annum.
- The entire Habibganj Station redevelopment project is likely to be a Rs 450 crore project, of which Rs 100 crore would be spent on station redevelopment and Rs 350 crore on commercial development.
- The amenities at the station will include:
- 600 additional waiting benches
- Cleaner toilets
- Retail areas,
- The IRSDC was exploring other ideas such as video-game zones, virtual museums, Lohia said.
- The new-look Habibganj railway station will boast of a glass dome-like structure and have facilities such as food plazas & cafeterias and a plush waiting lounge.
- The redeveloped Gandhinagar station will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, he said.
- Gandhinagar, the other station which will join Habibganj as the first 2 state-of-the-art stations, will be completed in record 2 years time – its foundation stone was laid by the PM in Jan 2017.
- 42% of the civil work has already been completed and it will be ready in time to hold the Vibrant Gujarat Summit in January 2019, he said.
- The Rs 250 crore redevelopment project is a SPV between the IRSDC & the Gujarat state government and will have a 5 star hotel with 300 rooms as its centre piece right above the tracks.
- The ground floor of the hotel will be 22 metres above the ground and it will have 3 buildings, combined to give the shape of petals.
Image Credit: IRSDC