Date Of Post: 12 May, 2018
As the Railways continues to transform itself , It is also planning a major overhaul of its catering services .
- It is looking to transform itself to serve airline-like food utilizing modern kitchens .
- The menu is expected to be simple and could be in the form of combo meal .
- It shall comprise at best two to three items similar to what is served by airlines.
- The public transporter has come under repeated criticisms over the quality of food served.
- Under the new initiative, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd (IRCTC), which manages catering onboard trains, would engage managers and supervisors in all trains for random checking, alongside in premium trains .
- The Railways provides 12 lakh meals per day, 10 lakh of which is served onboard trains.
- The IRCTC would be directly in charge of the 68 new modern-base kitchens coming up across the country.
- All the kitchens would be ready by December 2019, fitted with CCTV cameras for centralised monitoring .
- The base kitchen at New Delhi station alone would be equipped to prepare 20,000 to 25,0000 meals a day .
- The pantry coaches would also be regularly maintained and cleaned and new design coaches would be introduced with separate space for storage and washing .
Image Credit: IRCTC
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .