Railways considering to allow private players for passenger and freight operations

Railways considering to allow private players for passenger and freight operations

Want create site? With Free visual composer you can do it easy.

Date of Post: 19 Jan, 2019

Railways is considering to allow private players run passenger and freight operations, a senior railway official said on Friday. Currently, senior officials are now discussing the matter, said Railway Board member (Traffic) Girish Pillai, at an event organised by Centre for Transportation Research and Management.

More Information:

  • He said, there have been many changes in train operations across the world and I think it’s time that India should discuss the options of allowing private operators to operate passenger trains.
  • He said,”Whether they can be permitted to fix fares, construct terminals, senior officials of railways and experts in the field are discussing this.”
  • There was a need to separate the freight sector and passenger services, he also said.
  • Running train services in the country is a loss making endeavour and only a few trains are making any profit, while others are running in losses.
  • Only 15% of the non-suburban passengers travel in reserved classes among whom around 5% travel in higher classes and 10% to 11% travel in sleeper classes, the senior official said.
  • He said,”Most of them travel in unreserved category. There is a need for changes in freight as well as passenger fares and there needs to be more flexibility in them.”
  • The senior official pointed out that with the nod for private players to enter the freight sector around 50 private freight terminals have come up in the country and railways wants more to come up.
  • The rail operator in the USA has only 25% of the wagon and container services and the other 75% are with private businesses, he said.

To know more about recent developments of Railways –

18 Jan, 2019: Chairman Railway Board Vinod Kumar Yadav Inspects Tirupati Railway Station

18 Jan, 2019: Manoj Sinha Inaugurates New Broad Gauge Line between Amb Andaura to Daulatpur Chauk via Chintpurni Marg

17 Jan, 2019:  Indian Railways links locomotives via ISRO satellites to track trains


(  Please reach us at editor@railanalysis.com for more information. )

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar