Date Of Post: 03 Mar, 2018
MARGAO: The railways has completed nearly 70% of the track doubling project on the 352.58 km Hospet-Hubli-Londa-Vasco route. While 67km of the route has been doubled & commissioned, further 36km is targetted for commissioning in 2018, South Western Railway (SWR) sources said. Phase I of the project consists of doubling of the 245km track between Hospet & Tinaighat.
- 80km of the 97km stretch of Tinaighat-Castle Rock & Kulem-Vasco section, comprising the 2nd phase, lies within Goa, while 17 km is located in Karnataka.
- Sources said, at present, work on the Kulem-Margao stretch in Goa – which also includes 2 bridges – is underway at a fast pace.
- As per the preliminary engineering survey, the estimated cost of double tracking of this stretch, which will be executed during the 2nd phase, is Rs 1,198 crore.
- Official sources informed that so far, the SWR has incurred an expenditure of over Rs 700 crore.
- The doubling of the railway track is expected to facilitate movement of imported coal from Mormagao port to steel industries and upcoming thermal power plants in Karnataka.
Image Credit: South Western Railways