Date of Post: 14 Dec, 2018
Railways has commissioned 41 projects at a cost of Rs 700 crore for the Kumbh Mela, a senior railways official said. Of the total 41, 29 projects have already been completed and the rest are in an advanced stage and will be completed shortly. The Kumbh Mela will begin from January next year in Allahabad.
- North Central Railway (NCR) General Manager Rajeev Choudhury at a press briefing, said,”4 big enclosures to house about 10,000 pilgrims have been constructed at the Allahabad Jn. Railway Station. These enclosures will have vending stalls, water booths, ticket counters, LCD TVs, CCTVs and separate toilets blocks for women and men. Similar passenger enclosures are also built at other stations.”
- Around 800 special trains are proposed to be run during the Kumbh Mela from various stations of Allahabad district for the pilgrims coming to the Kumbh Mela.
- These trains will be in addition to the regular ones that are run by NCR.
- The railways has planned to operate 4 to 5 special trains for transporting 5,000 ‘Pravasi Bhartiyas’ from Allahabad to New Delhi, who will go to Varanasi to participate in the ‘Pravasi Bhartiya Divas’, and will go to Allahabad from Varanasi to participate in the Kumbh Mela.
AI Technology for crowd control-
- Choudhury said that the national transporter will use technology, including artificial intelligence (AI), in a big way to tackle the massive rush of passengers to this holy city during the mela.
- While IBM will provide video analytics service using AI for crowd control, there will be a large number of powerful CCTV cameras to monitor the situation and LED screens for displaying information.
- The railways has also initiated branding of the Kumbh Mela, by means of vinyl wrapping which will have colourful and attractive images of the Kumbh Mela and landmark structures of Allahabad in coaches of special trains as well as the originating trains of the NCR, he said.
‘Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App’ launched-
- North Central Railway, Allahabad, has also launched a mobile application titled ‘Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App’ that will help in providing critical and valuable information to the devotees, tourists and other passengers who will be visiting the Allahabad during the mela period.
- He said,”The passengers using this app will not only know their current location, but also will be able to navigate to all the railway stations, mela zone, important hotels, bus stands among others within the city. It will also provide valuable information about the passenger amenities that are available at the stations.”
- In addition, it will provide valuable information regarding all the ‘mela special’ trains that will be run during the period from all the stations of Allahabad (NCR, NR, NER).
- It will have a link to book both the unreserved and the reserved tickets and a link to the app developed by the civil administration of Allahabad.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .